Our school’s Green Team has evolved over the years. Currently, two teacher leaders run meetings every week for any fourth and fifth grade student interested in sustainability efforts. Apollo has a stable 30 or so members.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
Level One of the Green Schools Program: Achieved in May 2011
Level Two of the Green Schools Program: Achieved in May 2013
Level Three of the Green Schools Program: Achieved in May 2015
2015-2016 Sustaining Green Schools: Achieved in May 2016
2016-2017 Sustaining Green Schools: Achieved in May 2017
2017-2018 Sustaining Green Schools: Achieved in May 2018
- Apollo Elementary reached Sustaining Green Schools in May 2016.
- In the late spring of 2015, Apollo Elementary was honored to receive a Level Three Green Schools designation from the King County Green Schools Program
- For the Waste Free Wednesday Earth Day Challenge for April 22nd, 2015, Apollo had the lowest lunch waste amount for elementary schools in the Issaquah School District!
- Apollo has had a steady decrease in energy use since 2010 when the first Green Team was established.
- A thriving Green Team Club continues to meet once a week to produce a newspaper and work on promoting sustainability efforts within our school community.
- Water and energy conservation methods are practiced with signs posted in all common areas to remind staff, students, and parents to reduce waste of those precious resources.
- The school’s classrooms, MPR, and gym are all equipped with sensors that automatically turn off the lights when unoccupied for a certain amount of time.
- The Green Team shares the school’s energy usage with the school community and staff members.
- The Green Team shares reminders to reduce energy usage and waste with the school community and staff members via newsletter and e-Reviews.
- Staff and students are encouraged to dress appropriately for the weather rather than adjusting the thermostat settings.
- Energy conservation and composting tips are promoted through student visits to primary classrooms, lunchroom presentations, Green Week, and signage.
- All exterior doors remain closed and projectors are set on Eco Mode to reduce energy consumption.
- Green Team members make monthly conservation and recycling announcements.